Instagram today revealed the most popular places that people have taken photos in 2012. The popular photo-sharing app flourished at the world’s famous landmarks like the Eiffel Tower and popular tourist destinations like Times Square, but neither location earned the top spot.
The most poplar destination for Instagram photos is actually Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) in Bangkok, Thailand. Instagram users have posted more than 100,000 photos at the airport, including self-portraits, group photos, and images of statues and architecture at the airport. Thailand also claimed the No. 2 spot thanks to an abundance of photos taken at the Siam Paragon, a popular shopping mall in Bangkok.
Other than Thailand’s grip of the top spots, the list of the most prolific locations for Instagram photos leans heavily towards California. Times Square in New York City and the Eiffel Tower in Paris made the list, but only at Nos. 4 and 8 respectively. The remaining six locations were all at venues in Los Angeles or San Francisco. Here is the full list of the Top 10 Instagram locations:
– Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) in Bangkok, Thailand
– Siam Paragon shopping mall in Bangkok, Thailand
– Disneyland Park in Anaheim, California
– Times Square in New York City
– AT&T Park in San Francisco
– Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
– Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles
– Eiffel Tower in Paris
– Staples Center in Los Angeles
– Santa Monica Pier in Los Angeles